Thursday, June 2, 2011

A new beginning

I started my new novel today. I haven't written more than a few hundred words thus far, but I'm already starting to see the shape the book will take, and I'm excited to continue working on it.

My biggest obstacle is--as usual--finding time. Life with two small children is unpredictable, and ever since my son was born four years ago, it's been difficult for me to devise and maintain a writing schedule. I do write every day, but some days are more productive than others, and I know from experience that if I tell myself that I have to complete a certain number of words each week or month, I'll only succeed in becoming stifled and won't enjoy what I'm writing. I love this project--it's important to me--so I'm going to strive to keep it fun. I'm not going to give myself a time frame; rather I'm going to write as much as I can, when I can. I like this story idea too much to make it seem like work.

As long as Jed, my main character, continues to speak, I'll continue to listen, and I'm excited to see where he takes me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana! Keep at it! That's great that you write every day, even if you don't have time some days to write much. I've been lucky this week to have my first uninterrupted week in over a year, but most of the time, I too struggle with finding time to write.

    Glad that Jed is talking to you. I'm always more motivated when my characters have something they need to say. The other day, I had a character I was sure was going to be unconscious for at least another chapter, but he had other ideas and woke up way ahead of schedule! :-)

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really hard time with daily goals, but monthly goals were really helpful to me the first couple of months I was writing in my new WIP. That's fallen a little by the wayside the last few weeks, as you might've caught glimpses of.

    I am pleased to have tripled my word count for June this morning. Granted, my starting word count was 300, so that's not exactly stellar--but it's something to remind myself I'm moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Scott--and congrats again on the great progress you're making on your book!

    Deb, I remember saying that I wanted to try your monthly goals idea. I'm a little discouraged today because I haven't had a chance to work on my WIP; actually, I didn't work on it yesterday, either. (I hate my husband's work schedule. More work for him means no break for me.) I would be thrilled with 300 words right now! You're doing great! I hope to get going on my project again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete