Thursday, May 19, 2011

Epiphany?

I've mentioned before how my current fiction project is stalled. For whatever reason, I've reached a point I can't seem to see past. In my May 15th blog post, I talked about how I haven't worked on this WIP in weeks; by work, I mean that I haven't written any new words. However, I have been thinking about it constantly--even dreaming about it--but when it comes to producing words, I can't do it. I don't know if I'm blocked or just too close to the story or what, but I just can't seem to get anywhere. It's been a very frustrating experience.

It occurred to me this morning that I should probably set that project aside for a  while--completely. I don't even want to think about it; instead, I hope to let my subconscious work on it and--(fingers crossed)--find a way out. In the meantime, I think I'm going to shift my focus to writing more short stories and trying my hand at flash fiction. I'm hoping a change in "scenery" might help me to gain new perspective on my novel.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's probably a good idea to set it aside physically, while not exiling it from your brain! That mulling time is so important to the end result, as--in some cases!--is setting aside the physical address in favor of other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I did set my novel aside, and honestly, I've been too busy even to think about it these past few days. On the plus side, my new short story idea has been percolating, and I'm excited about that!

    ReplyDelete