Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Power of Words

Yesterday's post about having no words got me thinking about words and the effect they have on our relationships with others. I posted this at another site this morning:

Life is all about the words. The words we say; the words we don't say. The words we don't think to say until it's too late; the words that seem to fly out of our mouths unbidden, causing hurt and ruining relationships. The words we wish we would have said, had we not been afraid of reactions, of consequences. Words that wound and heal. Our relationships are built on words. They have life and power. They reveal us more than our actions; they peer into our hearts; they, more than anything, show who we really are inside. Who are we?

Who am I? What do my words reveal?

I think that sometimes my words show that I'm a loving mom and wife and daughter and friend, someone who genuinely cares about others and wants to do everything possible to help them. On other days, my words are harsh; they show the stress I feel inside, the anger and frustration that tend to come to the surface inexplicably and at the worst times. I'm guilty of letting my words fly without really thinking about them, letting them go like bullets aiming to take down anything in their path. It's easy to forget that words can wound. When I was in elementary school and the kids would pick on me, my mom taught me to say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Well, words do hurt; they can hurt a lot. I've felt that hurt, and I know that I've caused that hurt as well, too many times.

So who am I?

I'm a woman who tries (and often fails) to choose words that reflect the person I feel I am deep in my heart--to show the goodness that I know is there, even though it's sometimes hidden by stress and anxiety and worry. And, like everyone else, I'm just doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment