Saturday, January 15, 2011

An exhausted writer with a cell phone

Just as I was about to fall asleep last night, I felt inspired to write, so with no paper available, I grabbed my cell phone and wrote everything in an e-mail to myself. When I read the words this morning, I was surprised by them. The tone and the style were so different from what I normally write. Even the content didn't seem like my own--it didn't feel like it came from me, yet I remember writing it. It's strange. I'm not sure what I'll do with these words. I don't know if they belong in the novel I'm currently working on, coming from the mouth of a character that I don't know as well as I thought I did. Perhaps they're meant to be part of an essay or even a blog post. I need to think about this for a while.

I found the whole experience so strange: being pulled from that place between not quite awake and almost asleep, writing words that seem in their tone and possibly even in their intent to be someone else's.  I feel they're important somehow; I just need to discover where they belong. Last night's writing was almost a surreal experience. It's funny how the mind works...

No comments:

Post a Comment